I made this earlier today to go over baked Brie! I haven’t tried it all together, but I did sneak a taste of the compote and I LOVE it!!
Onion and Pear Compote
- 1 large sweet onion (about 4 cups)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pears peeled and diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 Tbsp raspberry vinegar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Sauté onions in oil over medium heat until softened and browned.
- Reduce heat and cook 10 more minutes.
- Add all other ingredients and cook until pears are slightly softened but still crisp.
- Using a slotted spoon, romove the pears and onions from the skillet into a bowl, leaving behind as much of the liquid as possible.
- Increase heat to medium and cook until the mixture has thickened into a glaze.
- Mix into the pears and onions.
- Make sure to refrigerate what you don’t use right away.
I had something similar over baked Brie at Argentine Bean so I did a quick recipe search the next time I was at Kroger and found this. Blue cheese isn’t something I like, but I’m glad I tried the jam recipe! Delicious!! The way I diced my onions and pears made it more like a compote, but I wanted to keep the pieces bigger since I love the texture of pears. I had a little bit today over a wedge of The Laughing Cow Swiss cheese… Yum. 🙂
Hope you enjoy!